01983 823898

You must tell the office that pays your benefit as soon as possible if you:

  • Go into hospital for one night or longer
  • Go into a care home or rehabilitation centre for one night or longer
  • Will miss a Jobcentre Plus appointment because you’re in hospital or have a medical appointment

A friend or relative can call for you.

How to report:

Who you tell depends on which benefits you get. You might need to report your change to more than one organisation if you get more than one benefit.

Universal Credit

Report a hospital stay of 24 hours or longer using your Universal Credit online account or contact the Universal Credit helpline.

Pension-age benefits

Call the Pension Service helpline if you get one or more of:

  • State Pension
  • Pension Credit

Attendance Allowance

Call the Attendance Allowance helpline if you only get Attendance Allowance.

Disability benefits

Call the Disability Service Centre if you get:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Low or no income benefits

Call Jobcentre Plus if you get:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Housing Benefit

Tell your local council about a hospital stay if you get Housing Benefit.

Child Benefit

Tell the Child Benefit Office if your child goes into hospital or ‘residential care’ for more than 12 weeks.

Other benefits

Call the helpline for each benefit to report a hospital stay if you get:

  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance

Read the Benefits in Hospital factsheet from Disability Rights UK for a full list of benefits and how they are affected if you go into hospital.

Citizens Advice (IOW)

Adviceline: 0800 144 88 48 (free)

Textphone: 18001 0800 144 8884

*Adviceline is open 9am until 5pm Monday to Friday