01983 823898

Working for yourself:

If you start working for yourself, you’re classed as a sole trader. This means you’re self-employed – even if you haven’t yet told HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Covid-19 Support:

If you are told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive and you are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period. This is to support people who are employed and self-employed on low incomes who are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result. The one-off payments of £500 are not loans, so they are not expected to be repaid. They will be subject to income tax but not national insurance contributions. The scheme will last until 31 March 2022.

To find out if you are eligible, please click here

Running a business:

You’re probably self-employed if you:

  • run your business for yourself and take responsibility for its success or failure
  • have several customers at the same time
  • can decide how, where and when you do your work
  • can hire other people at your own expense to help you or to do the work for you
  • provide the main items of equipment to do your work
  • are responsible for finishing any unsatisfactory work in your own time
  • charge an agreed fixed price for your work
  • sell goods or services to make a profit – including through websites or apps

You can be both employed and self-employed at the same time, for example if you work for an employer during the day and run your own business in the evenings.

Registering as self-employed:

If you’re self-employed, you may need to set up as a sole trader.

Help From Citizens Advice Tax Team:

Citizens Advice IW have a Tax Team who can help self-employed persons with a range of issues, from working tax credit to self-assessments.

For more information please click here or email us at [email protected]

Helpful Links:


(Updated 07/01/2022)