01983 823898

Pensions and benefits


You can get your State Pension in any country in the world, but you must tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) of your move.

If you move out of the European Economic Area (EEA) to a country that doesn’t have reciprocal links with the UK, your pension won’t be index-linked (related to the cost-of-living index and rising and falling accordingly).

It will be frozen at the rate when you left the UK or, if you leave before becoming eligible, the rate at which you first receive it.

Occupational and private pension schemes shouldn’t be affected in this way but you should contact your pension provider about specific issues and to arrange payment while you are living abroad.

The local exchange rate will affect how much pension you actually receive and you must take this into account when predicting your income.

Contact the International Pension Centre of the DWP and your pension provider about your move abroad.


Very few benefits are available while you’re living outside the UK and it can be hard to fulfil the criteria for receiving them. But some benefits are exportable abroad, particularly to EEA countries.

GOV UK: State Pension if you Live Abroad