01983 823898
Domestic abuse is behaviour from a family member, partner or ex-partner that:

  • is controlling, coercive, threatening, violent or abusive
  • happens between people aged over 16

Domestic violence and abuse can happen to men or women. It includes the following types of abuse:

  • psychological
  • physical
  • sexual
  • financial
  • emotional

Domestic violence and abuse can include harassment, stalking, female genital mutilation, forced marriage and honour-based abuse. It can also include trafficking.

If you’ve been affected:

If you are the victim of an abusive relationship, you might want to:

  • find somewhere safe to stay
  • stay in your home and get the person who is harming you to leave
  • report the violence to the police
  • get a court order to stop your abusive partner from harming or threatening you
  • take legal action
  • get help from a charity or another organisation

Whatever you want to do, there are organisations that can give you advice and help.

Finding somewhere safe to stay:

You may need somewhere safe to stay, either alone or with your children. You could:

  • stay at home – if you think this is safe
  • stay with relatives or friends
  • stay in a refuge
  • get emergency accommodation from the local authority under homeless persons law – this will usually mean a bed and breakfast hostel
  • get privately rented accommodation.


How Do I report an incident of adult abuse?

  • If you suspect someone is in immediate risk, harm or danger, please telephone the Police on 999
  • Alert  IOWCC Adult Social Care as soon as possible by calling the Safeguarding Team on 01983 814980 or by email [email protected]
  • If you are suffering because of domestic abuse or know someone who is you can call the ‘You First’ freephone helpline: 0800 234 6266 or email [email protected]


Other Helpful Links:



Last updated on 12/06/2020