01983 823898
Making a Complaint

When things go wrong we aim to put things right quickly, informally and without a fuss.  However, a formal statutory complaints procedure is available if we are unable to resolve a service user’s complaint on an informal basis.

How to Make a Complaint

Online: submit a complaint using our online complaint form.

Email: AdultSocialCareCompliments&[email protected]

By Post : send your complaint by letter to ASC Complaints and Appeals Officer, FREEPOST RTGE-TBEC-BYAY, Adult Social Care Compliments and Complaints, Isle of Wight Council, Floor 2, County Hall, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 1UD.

Or by downloading and completing a complaint reporting form and sending it to the above address, please download a copy of the form.

Please note: You can speak to or make an appointment to meet with the Adult Social Care Complaints Team by telephoning 01983 823340.

Isle of Wight Council Adult Services Complaints (Click here)