Blue Badges help people with disabilities or health conditions park closer to their destination. You can apply for a badge for yourself, on behalf of somebody else or an organisation that transports people that need a Blue Badge.
Who Qualifies For A Blue Badge?
You automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if you are over 2 years old and at least one of the following applies:
- you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- you receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) because you can’t walk more than 50 metres (a score of 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component)
- you are registered blind (severely sight impaired)
- you receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
- you have received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1-8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
- you receive the mobility component of PIP and have obtained 10 points specifically for descriptor E under the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity, on the grounds that you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress
*Service update: From 30 August 2019, the government has introduced new criteria for Blue Badge applications in England:
Applicants with non-visible (hidden) disabilities/conditions may now be eligible for a Blue Badge. Due to the nature of non-visible (hidden) conditions, applications will be assessed by looking at an individual applicant’s needs.
While the new criteria will give clear and consistent guidelines on Blue Badge eligibility for the whole of England, not everyone with non-visible disabilities will qualify for a badge
Applying For A Blue Badge:
Please click on the link below and follow the application instructions:
If you need help:
For questions about the Blue Badge scheme contact your local council.
Mobility Assessment Clinic (Blue Badge)
Unfortunately, the Independent Living Centre is unable to assist with the application process and we do not issue the Blue Badges, you will need to contact the Isle of Wight Council for all enquires. However, we do have a variety of Blue Badge Holders available for purchase at the Centre.