01983 823898

Adult abuse

Safeguarding adults from abuse is about making sure that adults who need extra care and support:

  • keep their independence
  • maintain their wellbeing
  • make their own choices
  • live a life that is free from fear, violence or harm.
  • This means that any adult who is experiencing or is at risk of abuse or neglect should be able to get help from organisations such as Isle of Wight County Council or the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Police

What is abuse?

Abuse can be:

  • Physical – hurting you, for example being hit, slapped, kicked, burnt, held down or pushed around.
  • Sexual – somone touching or doing things to you which you don’t like. For example, making you touch or kiss someone when you do not want to. Or sexual exploitation, where you receive gifts or money for performing sexual acts which you did not consent to.
  • Psychological – saying things to upset you, like someone calling you names, threatening you or hurting your feelings.
  • Financial – somone taking your money or private things without asking. For example, someone might spend your money in a way that you do not want.
  • Neglect – someone caring for you doesn’t take care of you properly. For example they may not help you to get food, keep warm and safe or take you to the doctors for help.
  • Discriminatory – someone treats you badly because of your gender, sexuality, ability, age, religion or the colour of your skin.
  • Organisational – an organisation doesn’t look after you properly, for example a care home, hospital, day centre or a home care provider.
  • Domestic – This can be a combination of different types of abuse and is carried out by a family member or partner.
  • Self neglect – if you are unable to look after yourself you may become unwell, or your wellbeing or safety is affected.
  • Modern slavery – where someone forces you to work for no money. Modern slaves might be ‘owned’ or controlled by an ’employer’ or moved from different areas or abroad.

An abuser may be:

  • a partner, relative, friend or child
  • a paid carer or volunteer
  • a health or social care worker, or other professional
  • another adult with care and support needs
  • a stranger
  • more than one person

Abuse can take place anywhere, including in:

  • your own home
  • your family or friend’s homes
  • a public place
  • a care setting, such as in a care home or a hospital.

Domestic Violence & Abuse

General Advice

Wight DASH (Formerly Women’s Refuge)

Rape and sexual assault

General Advice

Yellow Door

Female genital mutilation (FGM)

General Advice

Help Available

If you are told about or witness an incident of adult abuse; are the victim of adult abuse; or think abuse may be happening:

  • Make sure that you or the adult who is at risk is safe. Call 999 if someone is in immediate danger.
  • Alert  IOWCC Adult Social Care as soon as possible